Sunday, April 8, 2007

Inspiration while seated on a throne

I've discovered that one of the best places to get inspiration is in the bathroom. Whether it be in the shower, an extended stay on the throne, whatever, something about the cosmic vibrations in the average bathroom stimulate the mind. That's one reason my laptop, or at least a notebook and paper, go with me almost wherever I go. No, not into the bathroom. But they're never far away for those times I have a brainstorm and need to write something down or type a quick outline for an idea.

Case in point: Book 2. I've been working on the revisions for the first chapter of my second book, and tossing around some ideas that would work, but weren't really all that pleasing to me. Then, while seated on that majestic porcelain throne, inspiration struck. The problem with the opening chapter was with character development of the two main characters in the scene, and an unbelievable plot leap that my agent just couldn't accept. So I realized that part of the problem is that the opening to the scene is the epilogue to the first book. Other than the whole cliffhanger aspect, making people who read the first book want to pick up the second one, there's really no reason to split it up like that. Moving the epilogue from book 1 to the first chapter of book 2 allows for the character development that my agent felt was lacking. In addition, I also came up with a solution to the plot leap that fixes the problem and yet still allows our two heroes to be thrown into the same situation as they were in the original version... which is where I need them.

So things are moving along. I still haven't figured out what to do about the prologue, but I'm moving along on chapter one. Once I have that put together, it'll be time to go back and tackle the prologue and hope I can figure out what to do with it.

Maybe I should go visit the throne again and see what I can come up with.

No comments: