Tuesday, April 3, 2007

My little darlings won't go down without a fight!

Kicking and Screaming
I'm telling you, revising sucks rocks. If you read my blog regularly, you know my agent gave me a moderately brutal appraisal of the opening of my second novel, and I've been working on addressing the issues she identified. So far, I'm stuck on the prologue. In her opinion, it needs to be "edgier", and there's too much internal monologue going on. So I've re-written it now FIVE TIMES with no success. One attempt was even to throw away what I'd written altogether, and just keep the basic premise ad write something dark and edgy. Each time, it's been given to my first readers, and come back marked up as unacceptable. Everyone (except my agent) seems to think that my first draft is great the way it is, and that it doesn't need anything done to it. It's been driving me so crazy that I haven't even been able to address the other concerns she gave me, which seem more valid and probably easier to fix.

How do I resolve this? How do I fix something that one person out of seven has told me needs fixing? How do I find a middle ground between keeping myself happy, my first readers happy, and my agent happy? My agent has to be happy, because she has to love my books in order to sell them. But I have to be happy, too, or else why write?

Suffice it to say, I'm starting to grow frustrated with these initial revisions. Again.

On a side note, I have another job interview this Thursday for a local school district. I don't know how much it pays yet, but at this point, it doesn't really matter. I'm broke.

Wish me luck!

No comments: