Saturday, March 3, 2007

A Writer's Goals

My Goals as a Writer
I know I said yesterday's post was the last for the week, but after writing a bit more today on the short story I'm working on, I had the sudden urge to examine my goals as an author. What is it that I want to accomplish?

My goals may actually be unique to me. You see, like everyone else, I want to build a solid, successful writing career and make money as an author so that I don't have to do anything but write. I want to become successful enough that I can send a finished novel off t my agent and have her send it to my publisher, with the assumption that it'll probably be accepted. Or even sell the idea to a publisher before I write the novel. I don't care if I make a fortune, or become a household name, but I want to be successful and have writing be my career.

But there's more to it than that, and I don't know if I've ver mentioned it on here before. I want to write comic books. I don't intend to ever give up writing novels, not by any means. But one of the things I really want to do is have a run of Superman or Green Lantern under my belt. I want my novels to get me noticed by the editors at DC.

Is that strange? I mean, I love what I'm doing writing my novels, and I want to succeed as a novelist. But a large part of the reason for that is that I want to be noticed, and be considered credible, when I approach DC Comics with an idea for a multi-issue story arc of one of my favorite characters. Or even an idea for a totally new creation, or a graphic novel adaptation of one of my novels.

Is it likely? Not really, although it's not out of the realm of possibility these days. Lots of creators and writers from outside the comic genre are being asked to work in comic books lately. Orson Scott Card, Raymond Feist, Richard Donner.

So yes, I want to be a successful novelist. I want people to love my books. I want teens and young adults around the world to wait with unprecedented impatience for my next novel. But in addition, I want to have my name in my favorite comic books as writer.

Just more evidence of my eternal geekhood.

No comments: